Preparing to move houses? Moving in Singapore is always full of excitement, but getting your belongings from A to B can take the shine off – especially when it comes to moving expensive electronic items. This checklist for moving appliances will help make sure your treasured kitchen equipment – from your refrigerator to your airfryer – makes it to your new home or self storage space in one piece.
Preparing for moving
Make an inventory
List your items to make sure nothing gets lost in transit. Check that each appliance still works and clear out items that are old or that won’t fit in with your new home.
Don’t let food residue and water cause mold, mildew and foul odours. Thoroughly clean your appliances at least 24 hours before packing to give them time to dry. For large appliances:
- Fridge/freezer – Unplug at least 48 hours in advance to give it time to defrost. Remember to drain the water.
- Washing machine – Drain the water hoses and clean any lint and residual water – this is particularly important if you are placing it in self storage, as it prevents damage from mold or freezing.
- Oven – If you have a gas oven, call a professional to disconnect it.
- Get packing supplies
- Boxes – Use the original packaging where possible, or boxes of a similar size
- Padding – Packing paper, newspaper or scrap paper, plus bubble wrap and moving blankets
- Packing tape
- Marker pens
- Washing machine transit bolts and spanner
- Dolly and straps – If you are using a professional removals company, they will likely supply this equipment.
Now let’s look at how to pack appliances. When wrapping appliances, start with your least used items – you don’t want to be rummaging through mountains of boxes trying to find your kettle in the morning. Here are some tips for packing small and large appliances:
Tips for packing small appliances
Once your small appliances are thoroughly clean and dry, follow these steps:
- Dissemble the appliance, wrap each piece separately, then package it all in one box along with the cords and accessories.
- Fill any gaps or hollow areas with crumpled paper to create cushioning.
- Seal the box with packing tape – this is particularly important if it is going into storage as it will prevent water damage to electronic devices.
- Label the box so you know what’s inside.
- Load into larger boxes reinforced with packing tape. Group items according to their use – essentials, baking, etc. – and label accordingly. Pack heavier items towards the bottom, add bubble wrap where necessary and don’t overload the boxes.
Tips for packing large appliances
Make sure your large appliances arrive safely by following these steps:
- Remove moving parts like shelves and drawers and wrap separately.
- Secure doors with packing tape to prevent them opening during transit.
- Protect power cords with bubble wrap and tape to the back of the appliance so they don’t get lost.
- Secure the drum of your washing machine with transit bolts to avoid damage when moving (don’t forget to remove the bolts on arrival!).
- Wrap appliances in moving blankets to prevent scratches during transit and storage.
- Label the wrapped appliance with an arrow indicating which way is upright.
When moving your appliances, use straps and gloves to lift them onto a dolly, and create a cardboard pathway through your home to avoid damaging the flooring. Load large and heavy items onto the truck first, ensuring they are upright. Small, delicate, and essential items should be loaded last to minimise the chance of breakage and for ease of access.
On arrival, leave your refrigerator unplugged in an upright position for at least four hours. This allows any oil that has escaped the compressor during transport to flow back into place. When storing kitchen appliances, untape the doors and leave them slightly ajar to prevent condensation, mildew and bad odours.
Looking for easy self storage in Singapore?
If you’re seeking self storage in Singapore, SpaceNextDoor is your go-to. We have affordable units in secure locations across the city. Contact us for more information or book now to secure your ideal self storage space today.